Fried cox apples with cinnamon sugar
Cooks In20 minutes
Nutrition per serving
Calories 199 10%
Fat 8.5g 12%
Saturates 5g 25%
Sugars 30g 33%
Protein 0.8g 2%
Carbs 32g 12%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 4 Cox orange pippin apple
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- apple juice, cider or calvados , optional
By Kevin Gould
- First, clarify the butter by boiling it in a small pan.
- Strain it into a container through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
- Peel, core and slice each apple into 8, then sprinkle over a little lemon juice to prevent the slices from browning.
- Heat some clarified butter in a non-stick frying pan, and add the apple pieces in one layer. Cook until the undersides are nicely tanned.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon, then turn over the apple slices and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. They’ll start to caramelise quite quickly.
- Lift the apples into a dish. Pour a splash of the apple juice, cider, calvados or water in the pan, bubble it up, then pour over the apples. Serve with crème fraîche.
Store the leftover clarified butter in the fridge.