Soaked pistachio & citrus cake
Cooks In55 minutes
DifficultyNot too tricky
Nutrition per serving
Calories 300 15%
Fat 14g 20%
Saturates 5g 25%
Sugars 30g 33%
Protein 6g 12%
Carbs 38g 15%
Of an adult's reference intake
- 75 g unsalted butter , plus extra for greasing
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g ground pistachios
- 100 g fine semolina
- 1 lemon
- 50 g no-peel orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 25 g pistachios
- LEMON SYRUP
- 2 lemons
- 150 g sugar
By Joss Herd
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Melt the butter over a low heat, then set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- While the machine is running, slowly add the pistachios and semolina, followed by the melted butter, lemon zest, marmalade and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold this into the pistachio mixture in three additions in order to keep it as airy as possible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup. Combine the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pierce the cake all over with a skewer as soon as you remove it from the oven. Slowly pour the syrup over the cake while it’s still warm.
- Sprinkle with the dried mint, then chop and scatter over the pistachios.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin. Serve slices with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt, if you like.